Social distancing restrictions brought on by COVID-19 have brought the use of teletherapy sessions to the forefront of today’s healthcare system. Teletherapy is a great option for children and families who do not live close to specialized treatment, have scheduling restrictions, or would like in-home services from a skilled clinician.
Teletherapy has proven to be beneficial when the family is involved in the child’s treatment. Young children will need to be present with a parent for any online sessions. Sometimes just a parent is present to start, and then the child is brought to the screen as needed or when ready. Older children can be in front of the computer on their own, as long as their parent is accessible somewhere in the house if/when needed.
Virtual Occupational Therapy session benefits:
- Consultation services for sensory treatments
- Explanations of difficult behaviors and how to shape those behaviors in a positive way (for parents and teachers)
- Home programs developed in a weekly schedule format to address areas that are being targeted in therapy
- Sensory sessions can be set up and implemented with our guidance during teletherapy sessions, to promote self-regulation and focus
- Gross motor, fine motor & handwriting activities can be completed with our guidance to promote strength, endurance and coordination in a fun way
Virtual Speech Therapy session benefits:
- Consultation services to understand your child’s struggles and what you can do to help
- Explanations of your child’s difficulties and home activities that can help, in a fun and playful way
- Direct speech and articulation therapy sessions can be conducted
- Language processing interventions can be implemented with fun online tools to keep your child engaged
- Social and play skills can be addressed with parental support
Contact us today to find out if teletherapy is a good option for your child!